Sunday, July 27, 2008

My Obituary

We are moving soon and I've started to pack. Man oh man, do we have a lot of shit. We have vowed to live simpler and clutter free in the new house. No piles of random stuff, just a few toys (hah!) and I will not stockpile food just in case gas prices go so high that food becomes scare and exorbitantly expensive. If you listen closely you can hear me chanting under my breath "everything will be better in the new house, everything will be better in the new house, everything will be better in the new house. . . ".

As I was packing my books I ran across an old journal from a course I took about 6 years ago based on the book "The Artist's Way" I don't usually save my journals because when I find them they're often quite depressing. I opened the journal to find an exercise that required me to write my own obituary. Here's what I wrote six years ago:

Sarah Brooks lived a full life. She was preceded in death by her husband, Chad. She is survived by sons, Sam & Henry, four grandchildren, best friend Jennifer and young lover. What a magnificent woman! A recording of her own piano jazz was played at the memorial. She was known by all as a most compassionate woman, helping to feed and clothe many around the city. She also brought music to many underprivileged children and adults. Her garden will be donated to the city. Sarah travelled the world and made a difference to children in many countries. She will be greatly missed but it is certain she is happy wherever she is.

Isn't that funny?! It almost sounds like I think I'm Angelina or something. I have not thought about my jazz piano career in years. It's especially funny considering I don't play piano or garden AT ALL. I wonder what I would write if I wrote it today? What would you write? It's something to think about.

1 comment:

Connie Dooley said...

I think the rest of the journal would be equally as interesting. Wonder what was going on in your life then? Not bad fantasies -- jazz piano and a garden worth donating. Sounds like you were wanting to do things that your parents might approve of. Not that I'm trying to analyze or anything.