Thursday, April 3, 2008

Did You Know?

thirteen thursday

1. An espresso has less caffeine than a cup of coffee.
That explains why I have to drink so much of it.

2. The length from your wrist to your elbow is the same as the length of your foot.
Try it. It's true.

3. On average, you speak almost 5,000 words a day - although almost 80% of speaking is self-talk (talking to yourself).
Scary, huh?

4. A person remains conscious for eight seconds after being decapitated.
And you thought it was just for chickens.

5. The muscle that lets your eye blink is the fastest muscle in your body. It allows you to blink 5 times a second. On average, you blink 15 000 times a day. Women blink twice as much as men.
Why do you think that is?

6. Unless food is mixed with saliva you cannot taste it.
Your mouth produces 1 litre (1.8 pints) of saliva a day.


7. The liver is the largest of the body's internal organs. The skin is the body's largest organ.

8. About 13% of people are left-handed. Up from 11% in the past.
My middle child is a lefty.

9. 1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left-handed - 250% more than the normal level.

10. A newborn baby's head accounts for one-quarter of its weight. Ouch!

11. Lightning strikes men about seven times more often than it does women.
Well, now that makes sense to me.

12. The Bible, the world's best-selling book, is also the world's most shoplifted book.

13. We actually do not see with our eyes - we see with our brains. The eyes basically are the cameras of the brain. One-quarter of the brain is used to control the eyes.
What about the phenomenon of men thinking with their penis?



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



30 comments:

SJ Reidhead said...

I could have done without a few of these. The one about the Bible is fascinating!

SJR
The Pink Flamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

Anonymous said...

I don't want to know how they found out about the decapitation thing...

Lost Hemisphere's Thursday Thirteen #9: Solutions to last week's contest

Anonymous said...

Very interesting, though the coda to #13 was uncalled for. Most people don't know that the skin is an organ. It's the sort of thing that often comes up in trivia quizzes.

Anonymous said...

I tried #2 because I didn't believe it could be true.
Turns out it is, which means I have extremely long feet.
Geesh!

Anonymous said...

I did know number 2! The rest were news to me. :)
Great list.

Happy TT.

Anonymous said...

I do love coffee... any kind... machiatos when we go out....

One of the funny things about the talking thing - and self talking thing - is that we think the same thing 90% of the time. Now that's scary! :)

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

#4 is totally creeping me out.

cindy kay said...

A person stays conscious for 8 whole seconds after being decapitated?! !!!???

Kaige said...

Very cool trivia, Sarah! I knew about the forearm length, but yeah, #4's just creepy.

Be sure to stop by and get a piece of cake!

Happy TT!
http://impulsivehearts.wordpress.com/

Connie Dooley said...

The salvia thing is interesting. Maybe when you're sick and food doesn't taste good, you're not producing as much salvia?

Mia Celeste said...

Huh, this early in the morning and you've got me thinking. I already tried comparing my foot to my arm and I think you're right. Happy TT!

Kristi said...

this may be the most interesting T13 I have seen in a long time. Who is the one who researched decapitation? I think the most interesting one would be the bible shoplifting.

siteseer said...

You'd think that since I had one of my salvia glands removed that I'd taste less food and therefore loose weight. Not true (my loosing weight that is - not the statement). And I believe the Bible one, but my church gives them away, just go there and have one less sin to atone for lol.

Melissa said...

interesting fact: left handed boys are more likely to get into trouble than right handed. I dont know why...but my crazy bro is left handed :)

Jenny said...

Who would swipe a Bible?! A lot of people, apparently, but it really surprises me. I guess it's proof that it's a book they should be reading!

Great list!

Jane said...

Things that make you go hmmmmmm. And we are blinking with mascara on, how DO we do it?
Also, our nose and ears continue to grow throughout our entire life. Now that's a great thing!

Lori said...

Great info...How about Cappacinos? I had one mid morning and was wired for sound. Coffee has never done that to me...of course, Id already had 2 cups by then. Happy TT and thanks for stopping by:)

Natalie said...

I remembered #2 from Pretty Woman but I am fascinated by the Bible one.

shaunesay said...

#4 is kind of like the whole CSI idea to me, really interesting, but probably didn't want to know it!

My mom and my granddad are both lefties, the rest of us are right handed!

Thanks for stopping by, Happy Thursday!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

So were you expecting the uproar over the decapitation one? It makes sense, if you think about it.

I'm into the lefty thing. I'm ambidextrous and my second kid's a lefty, although not far behind me in some regards. A large number of presidents have been lefties, too.

(and I agree about the thinking-with-penis thing!)

SandyCarlson said...

OK, 4 has me freaked out. I enjoyed this list!

Bethany said...

Those were really interesting! Of my 6 siblings, 3 of them are left handed! The fact about the Bible is both interesting and sad, although hopefully if they steal it, they will read it??!?

Anonymous said...

Awesome list of trivia. I didn't know most of it. The decapitation thing is almost as disturbing as the length of my feet :)

anthonynorth said...

What a great list - although I just fell over trying to place my foot along my lower arm :-)

Cindy Swanson said...

Wow...those were REALLY interesting! I knew about the decapitated head thing, because I heard that occasionally when people were guillotined they tried to speak afterwards. Weird, huh? And how ironic about the Bible being shoplifted. Good stuff!

The Gal Herself said...

I learned #2 from (of all things) the movie Pretty Woman. Thanks for giving me a reason for remembering it! #4 made me shudder. As did your "ouch" comment on #10. Did you know that statistic BEFORE you had your kids? (Thanks for visiting my TT)

Melanie said...

This was the best TT this week! But I tried the wrist to elbow thing and my foot is smaller than that the space. Guess I'm strange.

And how do they know how long you stay conscious after being decapitated???

Great list! Loved it!!

Nicole said...

Cool list!

And yes, #4 is weird. (I'm with the person who didn't want to know how they figured that one out.)

Happy TT! Saw you on the list.

CC said...

12. The Bible, the world's best-selling book, is also the world's most shoplifted book.

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! The irony.

Nicole said...

Thanks for visiting me!

(I am going to Oregon, fingers crossed. That was part of last week's TT revelation!)