1. An espresso has less caffeine than a cup of coffee.
That explains why I have to drink so much of it.
2. The length from your wrist to your elbow is the same as the length of your foot.
Try it. It's true.
3. On average, you speak almost 5,000 words a day - although almost 80% of speaking is self-talk (talking to yourself).
4. A person remains conscious for eight seconds after being decapitated.
And you thought it was just for chickens.
5. The muscle that lets your eye blink is the fastest muscle in your body. It allows you to blink 5 times a second. On average, you blink 15 000 times a day. Women blink twice as much as men.
Why do you think that is?
6. Unless food is mixed with saliva you cannot taste it.
Your mouth produces 1 litre (1.8 pints) of saliva a day.
7. The liver is the largest of the body's internal organs. The skin is the body's largest organ.
8. About 13% of people are left-handed. Up from 11% in the past.
My middle child is a lefty.
9. 1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left-handed - 250% more than the normal level.
10. A newborn baby's head accounts for one-quarter of its weight. Ouch!
11. Lightning strikes men about seven times more often than it does women.
Well, now that makes sense to me.
12. The Bible, the world's best-selling book, is also the world's most shoplifted book.
13. We actually do not see with our eyes - we see with our brains. The eyes basically are the cameras of the brain. One-quarter of the brain is used to control the eyes.
What about the phenomenon of men thinking with their penis?
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants